Thursday, June 19, 2008

Entry

Diary-

I arrived at the village after suffering through much trouble- there was no airport or even train, and I was forced to go by bus. I asked around for Ning, not knowing where he lived since I left shortly after sending him my last letter. Somebody told me they had not seen him lately, but guided me to his home. Not finding him there, I remembered our old "tree house" on the outskirts of town. There was a lone tree in a deserted remote area, and we had put up a makeshift platform. If he had read my letter, I knew he would have left me some note of explanation there. My conjecture was correct, and his note stated he had left to go "seek guidance". Excellent, my trip was for nothing.

However, I reluctantly decided to visit mother and father, and take a look at the whole operation while I was there. Mother was glad to see me, but father even more. Father was very proud of his operation up until the point where the prisoners were rebelling and Ning left on his own journey. Although he was disappointed and quite furious with Ning for leaving, there was a time when he would have wholeheartedly approved, when he was a philosopher and not a businessman.

Father earnestly asked me to accompany him to the "production line" of the text. I agreed, and I got a chance to see what was occurring, what the strike was all about. Having read the note signed V, I found this prisoner and spoke with him. Apparently, the Tao Te Ching became very popular among the prisoners, and some began trying to find their own "Way". In the process, it seems that some sort of rebellion began among a few- some had a problem with father's attempt of cashing in on this supposed priceless text. However, the prisoners sorted out the problem among themselves, and are ready to produce the books again.

Another problem has come up though. Father is a changed man with money, his old cheery and wise ways gone. He talks business now. It struck me- I much liked father the way he was before. Furthermore, witnessing the profound effect of the Tao Te Ching (and the effect of forgetting it) has led me to do some deeper thinking. Give me some time, more later.

Jun

No comments: