Tuesday, June 10, 2008

February 15

My Brother,

Receiving your letter some days ago has pleased me. Almost five years have passed since our last correspondence, and many more since I have seen the whole family together. I have been receiving your letters, though. I am glad the situation at home has become more stable. As you know, I left because father's idealism never earned him more than a good seat among a group of elders in the town. Money was short, and I am glad you finally have a place you can confidently sleep in without fear of being kicked out. I am also happy that father's idealism will finally earn him some money.

As for me dear brother, I have been living the life in the city. With the money that father had given me for an education, a good portion of of his savings, I was able to attend a prestigious University, and with my credentials, land a high-level job at a technology firm. The company has provided me with a large flat, and I host parties weekly, enjoying the luxuries and comforts of life. I would send money home, but most of it is tied up in stock options.

Your letter did concern me, although I hope my fear is mistaken. I fear being around father all the time, you might become a "philosopher" like him and decided to "embark on the way", the path...whatever. True, I do have a copy of the Tao Te Ching in my library, and upon the insistence of father, I have read it. I am not surprised it is the best-selling book in your region, because it is marketed for the peasants and the poor. It glorifies their life, their existence. Taoism preaches about minimalism, giving up worldly objects, being a hero by not trying to be great. I hope you see the big picture as I have! I am the hero of our town, I am the one to have made it big. My youth was spent following the Tao principles, and I don't remember any happiness or happiness of any of our poor neighbors. Now, however, I am happy. I am wealthy beyond belief, have a car, television, and other items we couldn't even dream about when we were children.

I'll close with a final statement. If you must follow a path, follow mine, not the one I remember father went on about all the time. You are free to share my letter with whoever you please, and I look forward to hearing yours and any other responses. Take care Ning, your brother Jun.

No comments: